OH what a day! Well we've been in NY for almost 4 months now and never registered our car in New York (the car we brought with us). So today after getting our Honda (the CA registered car) a "NY State Inspection" I thought since everybody else is shopping today, I'll go register my car at the DMV. So off to the DMV I went. (actually for the second time today, first to change over my CA drivers licence to NY, but there was no line at the DMV, I was in and out) So off I went on what I thought would be quick and easy. I had already filled out the paper work at home so I gathered all the paper work and I.D. I might need. it was then I realized I couldn't find "proof of insurance" for that car, so before leaving the house I called our Auto insurance company,
Call #1 "Sure, no problem, we'll just fax that over to the DMV" they said.
So there I was at the DMV, still no line, I went right up to the counter, but they hadn't received my fax. So I was told to stand aside and WAIT!!!! So I waited, after about 5 minutes I figured the fax should have gone through by now, so I called back our Auto Insurance (who will remain nameless... USAA)
Call #2 "Sure we will re-fax that ASAP."
10 minutes later. Still nothing.
Call #3 "Sure let me re-fax that right now, with you on the phone and I'll wait until the fax goes through!" Great I think, finally it will work. Thankfully it did, so after 3 calls I finally got the fax I needed.
I head back up to the front of the non-existent line. Might I just add that I had Ciella with me too, so good thing there wasn't a line or who knows how she would of handled this for so long! So back to the same teller at the DMV.
"Great," she says "this is perfect." She fiddles around on her computer entering data and stuff, when she suddenly stops and says,"Sorry, this wont work after all. The "effective date" for your policy MUST read today's date. You'll have to have them re-fax this with the correct date." Side note: my policy said, "effective: August 2, 2007 - expires: February 4, 2008. So you'd think that would work because it clearly states that its in effect through those dates! Nope, not for the New York DMV.
So back on the phone to our insurance,
Call #4 After explaining the situation, "Sure I'll re-fax that right now."
20 minutes later, NOTHING!!!!!
Call #5 After once again explaining my situation with a hint of frustration in my voice this time, I receive, "Sure I'll re-fax that right away, with the correct information. I'm so sorry Ms Bascom."
Yes I had checked and rechecked the Fax number each and every phone call!
Another 20 minutes goes by... You can imagine what I'm thinking at this moment!
Call #6 With true anger in my voice I retell my situation for the 6th time. Once again I get, "We'll re-fax that right now! I'm so sorry..."
At this point I'm not sure who I'm more mad at, the DMV for its ridiculous rules on "Effective Dates" or USAA for not getting their fax's done correctly or timely!
Another 10 minutes goes by and I'm furious!
Call #7 Still with much anger I retell my situation and hear yet another apology and another promise of a re-sent fax. This time I tell the person on the phone I'm not hanging up with them until I get the fax. They can't seem to apologize enough, but that doesn't magically make a fax appear. So the girl on the phone says she'll try and manually enter the fax, this should work she promises, and she call me back when she does so.
15 minutes later. NOTHING!!!!!
I am coming up on 2 hours at the DMV waiting for my fax at this point!
Call #8 You can imagine how this went. "I'm sorry Mrs. Bascom, I'll re-fax that ASAP."
Thankfully as I'm getting off the phone with call #8, and to my great surprise a fax comes through. I smiled! Got back into what was now a line only to realize to my greatest horror that they sent the right fax, but for the wrong car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Call #9 This call was the same as the 8 previous calls before it, "Sure we'll re-send that ASAP" Each phone call I was more and more frustrated!
I am almost in tears. Mostly full of anger!!!!!!!! I step aside from the line, my chin was quivering, as I held back angry tears. I prepared to make call#10, I was so angry I was going to full on yell at these people for their total incompetence!
But before I can actually get past the automated part of the Call #10 magically the correct fax for the correct car appeared!
So congratulations to us, 2 hours, 9 almost 10 phone calls, 3 DMV tellers and $112.00 dollars later, our car was successfully registered in the sate of New York!
* I didn't make the last part of my post with such large writing, but I can't make it go away either, sorry!
14 years ago
3 comments:
I am so glad they didn't have a line there. I would have been in tears after call number 5! Good for you Mel! You are so brave out in New York! Hey I need your address for Christmas, can you send it to me ASAP? Thank You!
Aren't ya glad you moved to New York?! That stinks Mel, but atleast you finally got it over with!!
Good luck with the baby shower tomorrow!Love ya!
Post a Comment