Monday, May 17, 2010

Just for fun!

I wanted to share a few projects I have done recently that I love!

The first one was a cool old window I found at at recycle center here in town. I saw this done on a blog that I follow and thought I would copy it and add some color to my living room!
Before:

after I stripped the paint off:

Finished!: I really like it. The women that made one and shared the idea on her blog (check her window frame out HERE), used an old french door, so it was much larger. She also put photos in the windows to make it a frame. I will eventually do that too. I used fabric I already had in the windows.


The next project I did in just one day! When my friend called and said she saw 4 chairs on the side of the road I hurried over to check them out! One odd thing about Buffalo is if you decide you don't want something any more all you do is put it out by the curb and then its free range to who ever gets there first! Someone even took our totally broken lawn mower! (we told them it was broken) People will take anything as long as its free.
We only had 3 kitchen chairs for our family of 4! So I brought the chairs home... much to Garrett's dismay. They were hideous!!! To say the least. The fabric was disgusting and the wicker like baking and color of paint was terribly old fashioned. But I instantly had a vision and was so over excited that I immediatly got busy!

Before: Yikes!!! But hey, they were free!

After! I love them!!!
When Garrett saw the finished project he said he was shocked at how new they looked!  I think they are great and now I have a place to sit at the table instead of standing at the counter when I eat!!!
The black paint makes the chairs look so clean and modern! And I LOVE the fabric!!!
What do ya think?

18 comments:

Erica said...

I'm speechless!!!! The chairs look amazing. Your house is so cute.

kenzie said...

looks so awesome! great job. I love those kind of projects.

Natalie said...

I love the chairs!! I am so impressed.

RaCHeL said...

Way to be! I wish I had that 'vision' way about myself, but I don't. :( I really want to see your house. You have such cute style! I love the chairs!

Unknown said...

Those are so fantastic. Both projects are brilliant. I have some chairs here that I plan on doing something very similar with.... once I get through this pregnancy.

evelania said...

You are a woman after my own heart--or however that goes. I've been looking at people who do this and spotlight it on their blogs forever. I can't wait to do something like this someday soon. Great job!

Denyse said...

I looove the chairs! Seriously, I wish I had your visions :)

Rachel said...

I am speechless too! What in the heck?? How did you do that?

Boss said...

Holy wow! Wasn't it like three days ago you were saying you didn't have enough chairs, and then in no time you've whipped out these jawdroppers! I envy your vision and your initiative. Beautiful work!

Megan said...

Wow!! Both projects look so different from start to finish, and they're so cute! I definitely want to do the window thing. Adorable.

Cori Shaw, MS, RD said...

Great job! I love having projects. Now I'm totally going to keep my eye out for an old window and copy what you did. I think the fabric in the background looks awesome! I think I'd keep that instead of pictures, but that could be because we already have a ton of pics on our picture wall.

steph said...

love it!! both projects turned out amazing! want to come make my icky apartment cute for me when i move?

Anthony and Kristie said...

I still am in shock, those chairs were beyond hideous. I can't wait to come see them.

reesespeanutbuttercups said...

Wow, is all I can say!

Heather Mower said...

You are awesome!!!

Funk Family said...

You did such a good job on both projects. I saw the door one on the pleated poppy awhile back and have been planning to do it on my back door once we replace it. Although I haven't decided where I would hang it but I thought maybe in the nursery with baby pics of all the kiddos. It's on the 30 year plan.

Natalie said...

You are amazing! If I ever find an old door with glass on the side of the road, I am going to pick it up and then call you for your help.

The Reed Family said...

melanie they are amazing! Please live by me!! I miss you!!!